The Martin-Johnson Family. Starting from top left: Simon, John, Jacob, Morris, Helena, Louise and William Flath.
Front sitting: Martin & Helga Johnson with grandchildren Edward (Andy Valentincic's grandfather) & Alice Flath.
Andy, Paola, and their daughters
Julia, Andrea and Rita.
Martin and Helga Johnson, were both born and raised in Norway. Married in 1879,
and migrated to Washington Island a year later.
They had a farm house on Jackson Harbor road and Range Line, which remained in their family until about early 1950's. They farmed during the summer time. All their children were born in Wisconsin.
They were very hard working people, and large family as well. Viking Village's New owner Andy Valentincic is proud to be part of this legacy, and embrace that heritage and history. It was quite fitting to keep the motel's name with the new ownership, which embraces that symbolic theme we continue to see throughout our Island.
It's all about history.
Established in 1941 as "Anderson Cottages" by Clarence (Hildegarde) Anderson. There were trailers as well as cottages on the property.
In 1961, Anderson sold the property to his daughter and son in law (Tom and Carolyn Jessen).
In 1967, Tom and Carolyn built 3 kitchenette units, near The Inn Road. Old Anderson Cottages were torn down and rubble burned.
In 1977 they added 3 more kitchenette units to the South building, and also the North side Motel buildings, and that is similar to what we see today.
Arbutus Greenfeldt slide image, courtesy Washington Island Archives.